Dubai South (known also as Dubai World Central or DWC) is a strategic initiative of the Government of Dubai that is set to be largest and a leading global trade, business and aviation hub. Dubai South is a continuation of Dubai’s legacy as a connection point between the East and the West. It is recognized as one of the most aspiring and unique projects of its kind in the world and it covers the 140-square kilometer area next to Jebel Ali Sea Port.
The free zone also includes Al Maktum International Airport, which once completed will have the capacity to handle 12 million tonnes of annual cargo capacity and 160 million passengers. This makes Dubai South an exceptional multimodal project that supports a number of activities in logistics, aviation, commercial, exhibition, humanitarian, residential and leisure-related businesses.
Moreover, Dubai will host the World Expo 2020. Under the theme of “connecting minds, creating the future,” Dubai is the first city in the MENASA region to host such a highly notable global exhibition. The venue of the exhibition will be the exhibition district of Dubai South.
Dubai South further strengthens Dubai’s primary position as a logistics and trade hub in the region. The free zone has access to the largest seaport, Jebel Ali Port and flawlessly links the port to Al Maktoum International Airport through the dedicated Dubai Logistics Corridor. This allows the direct movement of goods between the seaport and the airport in a single custom-bonded zone.
Dubai South is located near major trans-emirate road networks in the UAE such as Emirates Road, Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Road and Sheikh Zayed Road. This makes the free zone a true multipurpose logistics platform that provides unparalleled levels of connectivity, speed and efficiency.
Some of the leading logistics companies such as Aramex, Kuehne + Nagel and Panalpina have already been operating from Dubai South and are taking advantage of its specialized Logistics District to expand their businesses within the region and beyond.
Today’s businesses require more and more faster operations, delivery and high level of connectivity. This consequently increases the demand for air transportation to the point that 35% of world trade by value now depends on it. Such percentage is continuously increasing. In today’s world, an airport plays a role of an economic catalyst and has crossed the traditional boundaries to comprise a larger urban development concentrated around it, which is called an ‘aerotropolis’.
With a mission to form the aerotropolis model, Al Maktum Interntional Airport and Airport City of Dubai South have been carefully designed with forward-thinking master plan that establishes the framework for Dubai’s economic future. An area of 140 square kilometres that DWC comprises of is being developed to create a self-sustained economic and residential zone, which will be a home for a multitude of activities including logistics, aviation, commercial, exhibition, humanitarian, residential and leisure related businesses around a world-class airport. Once fully completed, the airport will have the capacity to handle 12 million tonnes of cargo and 160 million passengers a year.
Free Zone Benefits
As a free economic zone, Dubai South offers companies the space and the flexibility they need to setup, grow and expand businesses within the aerotropolis and city around them. Companies can enjoy operating from the Business Park buildings that are fully completed and ready for immediate use. The Business Park offers 11 high-quality commercial buildings that are strategically located between Dubai and Abu Dhabi it is an ideal place for long-term business growth.
The Business Park offers finished, ready-to-use offices as wells as core and shall commercial spaces that can be shaped and designed in accordance with client specifications. A major advantage of the Dubai South Business Park buildings is that major companies can consolidate their offices into large contiguous floors either vertically or horizontally.
Types of Licenses in Dubai South Free Zone:
The categories of licence available within the Dubai South Free Zone are:
- Commercial Licence – allows the holder to carry out specified commercial services including general trading and logistics services;
- Service Licence – allows the holder to carry out services specified in the Licence within the DWC Free Zone and elsewhere in the UAE;
- Industrial Licence – allows the holder to carry out specified light manufacturing activities; and
- Education Licence – allows the holder to carry out educational and social services, educational aid training, and educational consultancy services;
Types of Companies in Dubai South Free Zone:
Two types of companies can be established in Dubai South Free Zone:
- A DWC limited liability company is a new legal entity with its own legal personality. The liability of its members (shareholders) is limited to the value of the share capital they hold in the company. A DWC limited liability company must have Shareholders, Directors, a Company Secretary and a General Manager, and will have the designation DWC-LLC.
- A Branch is a representative office of a legal entity which already exists outside of the DWC Free Zone (local or international). A Branch does not have a separate legal personality, and it derives its power and authority from the parent entity. A Branch must have a General Manager who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Branch, but it will not have a board of directors or company secretary. A Branch must retain the same name as the parent entity and end with the designation (Branch).
Moreover, companies can benefit from the free zone environment offered by the Dubai South and enjoy advantages such as:
- full foreign ownership
- 100 per cent tax-free operations
- 100% repatriation of capital and profits is allowed
- no tax or duty for import and export
- flexible commercial lease terms
- wide range of business activities are available
- minimum documentation to setup a company
- no proof of share capital
- no currency restrictions
- competitive rates
- state-of-the-art facilities
- and direct access to Jebel Ali Sea Port and Al Maktoum International Airport